Athenspress in FacebookAthenspress in TwitterAthenspress in Google+Contact Us

Dorovinis Monemvassia



Welcome to Monemvassia castle houses




If the word “castle tourism” denotes the trend to visit and experience life inside a castle, then Greece is the country with hundreds of medieval castles…..among which number one is considered the famous castle town of MONEMVASSIA.  The unparallel combination of natural features and man’s skills has set on this rocky island a renowned castle town, which, despite sieges and wars, is inhabited even today. Not only is inhabited but it is one of the most romantic destinations for vacations.



Impressed by this imposing scenery of the town of Monemvassia Vassilis Dorovinis, while a university student, convinced his parents to buy this house complex.  Later on Vassilis and his wife Ioanna Dorovinis, expert scientists in the field of preservation and enhancement of Historic Architectural, transformed part of the property complex into luxury, miniature vacation houses. 


The two houses, TELESSILLA and ALKMENE, have recently been restored in an exemplary way, preserving and enhancing the unique structural and architectural features of each house and combining them with modern facilities and style.

 Both houses are listed by the Ministry of Culture as Historic Buildings, and are officially registered under the National Tourism Organization of Greece. 



The houses have access to small courtyards, are supported by small kitchens with all necessary utensils and cutlery to prepare a light meal or breakfast.  They are distinguished for their stone built walls and vaulted roofs and their decoration with authentic pieces of neoclassical period. They are also equipped with WF Internet and cooled/heated with air condition.

The DOROVINIS COMPLEX is dating at least from Venetian times (although the Byzantine frescoes of the chapel of St Andrew may prolong its origin to this back period). It is located in the central part of the town, neighboring with the Parish (Mitropolis) Church of “Elkomenos Christos”.


The complex is composed of

1.   The main, 4 levels building, comporting the house of the owner (on the upper 3 levels) and the vaulted  TELESSILLA house on the ground level (with private entrance from the lower walkway). The main building is built and adjusted to the rocky background of the town, folding down between the upper and the lower walkways. On the upper walkway  there is the entrance of the main house and across it is found :

2.   The detached vaulted house ALKMENE and

3.   The chapel of ST. ANDREW with a small courtyard between them. 






Capacity 1 couple + 2 children (up to 12 years old) or 3 adults

It is composed of two rooms that have access to an oblong courtyard. The bigger room has one wall of natural rock, a live reminder of the rocky background of Monemvassia.



The main room has on double bed, side tables and authentic (from the Balkans) painted wardrobe and a sitting corner with armchairs and folding table (authentic piece of Athenian neoclassicism).


The second room is smaller and fitted into what was, in the past, the cistern. It is laid in two levels.  In the lower level is the bathroom and on the upper level an elevated twin bed (total width 110cm) and the kitchenette.  The kitchenette is fully equipped for light meals and breakfast, which you can enjoy in the front courtyard.



The house is air conditioned


Bath amenities

Hair Dryer

Fridge (under counter)

Electric hot plate


Sandwich maker

Coffee machine

Water kettle

Pots and pans

Serving plates for 4 persons



Its entrance is under a vaulted passage and has access to an open courtyard. The courtyard is surrounded by the façade of St. Andrew and an open air oven (it used to be a communal oven).



Τhe house consists of a high ceiling room,  with a loft in the back, under  which is fitted the kitchenette and the bathroom. A stone and wood stair leads to the loft.


The Entrance under the Vault

The main room is equipped with two bed, side tables, wardrobe and sitting corner with two armchairs and folding table. The loft is equipped with two single mattresses (sized 120x200 cm) for slipping accommodation of two children or adults.


IMG 1104   P4230141

The house is air-conditioned



P4230138  IMG 1122

Bath amenities

Hair Dryer

Fridge (under counter)

Electric hot plate


Sandwich maker

Coffee machine

Water kettle

Pots and pans

Serving plates for 4 persons



Contact Details:

Tel 1: +30 2106000259

Tel 2: +30 27320 61893 Movile: 00306973314353
& 00306976768089

Fax: :+30 2106000459

Visit the Official web site of complex  Here 









Built on an enormous and peculiar rock is connected to the opposite land with a bridge, which is the only entrance to it –“mone emvassies” (in Greek).


607 Monemvasia Greece


The name “Monemvassia” is first traced on a post byzantine historical document, the Moreas Chronicle, in which is denoted as the “unique entrance”.  The Byzantine emperor Mavrikios founded it in 582 AC, while the medieval Byzantine emperor Andronikos B’ granted lands and many privileges. For a long time Monemvassia flourished and became an important commercial center and port point for the sea commerce between Asia and Europe. It became famous in european king’s courts for its “Malvasia” wine. It was also the port of Mystras, the capital of  the Byzantine despotat of Peloponnesus.



606 Monemvasia


Monevmassia was first developed on a plateau, at the summit of the rock, named the Upper Town or Goulas, soon though extended to the area underneath, the Lower Town, which is today inhabited and know as the Castel Town. Due to its wealth and strategic location many conquerors tried to siege it. In 1249 was occupied by the Franks to be soon returned to the Byzantine Empire. But on the 15th century it was conquered by the Venetians and after a short occupation by the Byzantines and the Pope it fell to the Turks on the 16th century. The Venetians and the Turks were to change once again as consequent conquerors of Monemvassia till 1821, the year when, after a dreadfull battle, was turned to the Greek State. 



monemvasia 02

The long lasting history of Monemvassia and the various cultures that interweaved there have left their imprints on the numerous and important monuments that adorn the town today. The most important period that sealed its present image is the Second Venetian siege, in the 17th century, when a vast program of public works was undertaken by the Venetian Empire, with emphasis on city walls, churches, cisterns, manor houses, palaces etc. So the Byzantine and Venetian periods left us with the miniature, tightly built and vaulted houses, with their beautiful and colorful facades, that were revised to include gardens whenever the Turks seized the town.


A.           CHURCHES

1.            The parish Church of Elkomenos Chrystos

2.            The Church of Panagia Chryssafitissa –on the named square with a large courtyard and amphi theatrical steps where cultural events and marriages often take place.

3.            The Churh of Myrtidiotissa-recently restored by the Ministry of Culture- dominates above the main square and the market street.

4.            The Mosque - now a museum   featuring the Archaeological Collection of Monemvassia. 

5.            The Church of St. Nicolas, now a cultural center, where a lot of events are taking place.

6.            The Church of St. Ann the Catholic –recently restored by the Ministry of Culture

7.            The Church of

8.            The Chapel of St. Andrew privately owned by Vassilis Dorovinis and restored due to a grant by the Leventis Foundation–visited by arrangement.

B.           THE CITY WALLS-walking on its ramparts that overlook the sea.

C.           THE UPPER TOWN –archaeological site of Goulas with the renowned monument of St Sophia, with the snake like, pebble path climbing to there.



Read More about Monemvassia here 


Published in : Accommodation in Greece





Subscribe to our Newsletter to receive updates on our website